Ask the Real Estate Coach

| Gazette, News | September 27, 2013

Dear Coach,

I want to sell an investment property and re-invest the equity in another property. Will I be taxed on the equity from the sale?

Bob from Northridge

Dear Bob,

Your tax advisor or CPA is the correct professional to consult for this situation. Ask about a 1031 exchange.  This is when you take the equity, also known as capital gains, of your sale and defer tax by putting it toward the purchase of your new investment. There are strict guidelines that need to be followed, so do your research before you start the process, and make sure your realtor knows what your end goal is so all paperwork is completed correctly.


If you have a Dear Coach question you’d like answered in this column, email it to dearcoachbecky@gmail.com or contact me at becky@beckysill.com for an immediate response.

No Tags


About Jean Sutton

Leave a Reply

Doug’s Rant – Video Edition

  • WatchDoug’s Rant June 22
  • WatchDoug’s Rant June 15