Sand Canyon residents are asked to provide input about upcoming changes in the neighborhood.
Less than a week after the Sand Canyon Homeowners Association meeting held on Monday, March 28, 2019, an email was sent out from the Santa Clarita planning department regarding the scope of the Sand Canyon Country Club’s project. Associate Planner Hai Nguyen sent a revised Notice of Preparation, or NOP, with a new description of SCCC owner Steve Kim’s plan for the development.
The following is Nguyen’s letter to the Sand Canyon Homeowners Association:
The City of Santa Clarita is the lead agency and is preparing an Environmental Impact Report (“EIR”) for the Sand Canyon Resort Project. The City previously circulated the Notice of Preparation (“NOP”) for the project between October 17, 2018 and November 16, 2018. This revised NOP has been circulated to provide opportunity for public comment and input regarding the EIR’s expanded scope which now includes updates to the project description and new project area; approximately two-acre area south of Robinson Ranch Road would be utilized as a water quality detention basin associated with the project.
We need to know the views of your agency as to the scope and content of the environmental information, which is germane to your agency’s statutory responsibilities in (connection to) the proposed project. Your agency may need to use the EIR prepared by our agency when considering your permit or other approval for the project.*
Due to the time limits mandated by State law, your response must be sent at the earliest possible date, but not later than 30 days after receipt of this notice. As such, the comment period for the Notice of Preparation begins on April 2, 2019 and ends on May 2, 2019. Please send your written response to Hai Nguyen at the address shown (below).
The proposed project would result in the replacement of existing open space that was formerly a part of the Mountain Course of the Robinson Ranch Golf Course with a new resort and spa consisting of the following:
- Main Hotel: three-story building with 241 rooms/keys totaling approximately 165,000 square feet, and back of house and mechanical, electrical, and plumbing space in the Main Hotel basement totaling approximately 23,000 square feet
- Wedding Hotel: three three-story buildings with 81 rooms/keys totaling approximately 50,000 square feet air conditioned space and 17,500 square feet of open non-air-conditioned space with an outdoor wedding ground and pergola
- View Villas: 14 two-story villas with 56 rooms/keys totaling approximately 110,000 square feet
- Oak Villas: nine one-story villas with nine rooms/keys totaling approximately 38,000 square feet and one two-story villa with five rooms/keys totaling approximately 9,500 square feet
- Function Wing: meeting center and celebration open air atrium (32,500 square feet), a grand ballr om (10,000 square feet), a junior ballroom (3,000 square feet), meeting rooms (4,500 square feet), and pre-function space (6,200 square feet)
- Dining: three restaurants with kitchens, pantries and back-of-house totaling approximately 25,000 square feet
- Children’s Center: approximately 7,000 square feet including nursery, kids program spaces, cooking classrooms, and a teen arcade
- Spa/Gym/Salon: Spa, gym and salon facilities as well as a retail boutique totaling approximately 33,000 square feet
- Outdoor Recreation: two pools, one tennis court, two pickle ball courts, a nine-hole miniature golf course, picnic areas, meditation garden, nature garden, and three miles of trails
- Parking: 375 parking stalls and 18 car parking spaces in Oak Villa garages
Additionally, as part of the project, the existing approximately one-acre water quality detention basin located south of the project site and south of Robinson Ranch Road would be enlarged to a total of 1.9 acres and connected to the new resort project via a new storm drain pipe.
*(The project description, location, and the probable environmental effects are contained in materials that were attached to the original email.) To offer your opinions/concerns, contact: Hai Nguyen, Associate Planner, City of Santa Clarita Community Development Department, 23920 Valencia Boulevard, Suite 302, Santa Clarita, CA 91355 (661) 255-4365. Email: Hnguyen@santa-clarita.com.